11.02.2011

Things I Learned This Weekend


This weekend Olaf and I went to a Halloween Party. It was thrown by our favorite DJ and we, on a whim one day, bought tickets. We haven't been to a Bar/Party since we've had kids. I learned a few things that I'd forgotten in the last 17 years.

  1. Several days after I bought the tickets I looked at them. I quickly texted Olaf "The party doesn't even start until 9pm! In downtown SLC!" I had forgotten that nothing of consequence starts before 10pm in the Party World.
  2. We tried to get there fashionably late but left early because with the highway construction you never know when they're going to shut the whole thing down and wind you through town, making your trip twice as long. Unfortunately we were on time. A big no-no in the Party World.
  3. We weren't the only middle-aged, responsible, babysitter-at-home, type. We weren't even in the front of the line for the party. 
  4. They carded us at the door. I've never had my ID looked at with such scrutiny and I used to go out with my friends back in college (they needed a driver).
  5. Once the doors opened we were faced with the possibility of actually hitting the Dance Floor. Something we were never good at before and a 17 year absence makes you feel even more insecure.
  6. All we had to do was wait an hour for people to get good and drunk and then it didn't matter what we looked like on the dance floor.
  7. There's No Smoking in bars anymore!
  8. There are a lot of Boob Jobs out there, and they like to show their assets off to the world. Hence the costumes: Slutty Pirate, Skanky Cowgirl, Bad Angel, Delicious Devil, Sexy Kitty, and of course Black Leather-Clad Go-Go Dancer.
  9. I left my cell phone in the car, I didn't want to lose it, drop it, break it, get it stolen, etc. But I learned that the Cell Phone is an accessory to the dance floor nowadays. People were taking pictures and videos and posting them to Facebook, Twitter, their blogs, and anywhere else they could. Apparently if you go to a party and don't document it, it didn't happen. So sorry, no pictures of us in action.
  10. 12:30 with an hour drive home is really late nowadays, we were both so tired the next day. And we didn't even have a hangover the next day to nurse.
We had a blast doing something completely out of the norm for us. We might even go next year if there's another one. We'll have forgotten what it was like by then. Maybe I'll even take my phone for dance floor pictures.

5 comments:

sally said...

Too fun. I'm so glad you guys went to a party. It's hard to get back to real life after a party. We're still recovering just from a little trick or treating.

Krissie said...

Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun! Plus, if I ever go to one of those parties I will have to re-look at your advice.

Jeni Allen said...

AWESOME! I'm so glad you guys went! How fun!! Did it make you feel young? I hope you danced a little bit! Did you say hi to Chunga?

Lonita said...

Great costumes! I'm impressed with you guys - these days I go to bed at 9, so anything starting at 9 seems crazy late! And making it out past midnight!

Student Entrepreneur said...

You guys looked great!!