6.07.2009

A Long Week

We got a call this week that Olaf's cousin had died in a car accident. The flood of feelings. The ache of a child gone. The loss that will never go away. It all came but was for someone else who was beginning this long journey. No one should have to live through this. And there was nothing I could do since I was leaving for Girl's Camp with the girls in my church.

And then Olaf got another call while down in the valley (no cell phone reception in the mountains). It wasn't a car accident. She was so sad and lost that she took her own life. If only she had called someone to be with her. If only. . .

We visited with Olaf's Aunt and Uncle last night and I told them they can't do the What Ifs, it will only torture them. I can only tell all of you

Family is Everything. Love your family for who they are. Don't judge anyone, only God knows the whole situation. Remember that no one is perfect and everyone is different. Don't hold those imperfections and differences against someone, try to love them for (or in spite of) those things. Just love your family and hold them close.

And now I'm putting the soap box away.

8 comments:

sally said...

I always love your soapbox. I need constant reminding on how special the little children I have really are.

Grandpa said...

Like you, our hearts go out to Olaf's Aunt & Uncle. No one SHOULD have to live through this, but we can and we do. We don't always know why, but we have a message that gives us hope and help us to endure. I'm glad you two were able to be there and to help the family. That was special for them and hard for you.

Student Entrepreneur said...

I hear you! Love your babies (and they will always be your babies!!) no matter what!! Tell Olaf that I love him!

Lonita said...

I'm so sorry to hear that news - his aunt and uncle will be in our prayers. Your "soap box" is exactly right - it's something that's easy to forget day-to-day and important to be reminded of.

Anonymous said...

Donna words of wisdom from a too young of mother who has suffered loss. We never know why when one takes ones life and we can only pray that their suffering is over but must remember those that share the loss. My prayers are with them.

Aunt Marge

quilts and quirks said...

This last year has made your point so very real to all of us. We all wish it didn't happen, but I think we are stronger because of it.

grapeape said...

that's so awful; i'm sorry for you and all of your fam affected...

Jeni Allen said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Olaf's family. Like Aunt Marge said, we never know why. How sad. I'll keep them in my prayers as well.