11.28.2010

Life is...



Life is not fair. I know that. I tell my kids that all the time. But sometimes you just wished it wasn't so unfair. The other night Tank got out and was on a walk by himself. When we discovered he was gone Olaf and Middle Child went looking for him. I got a call from MC asking me to look all through the house. A minute later I got another call from MC. He was sobbing and inconsolable. Olaf had seen Tank on the side of the road. He wouldn't let MC get out of the car. It was right by the house, my sister's house where we had gone for Thanksgiving. I hurriedly got dressed and asked my sister to drive me to where they were. But by the time I got boots on they were back. Olaf asked for a tarp to wrap him up in. He told us that Tank had been hit by a car and was gone. He didn't want to leave him all alone out there so he wrapped him up and brought him back to my sister's house. The next morning we decided to leave a day early because a snowstorm was forecasted. We got in the car and came home. After getting the kids home and in the house Olaf prepared a box and blanket to lay Tank in for his final resting place. Then he went out in the freezing howling wind and dug a grave for our sweet dog. Baby ran and told his best friend who came over. He wanted to write a note and so did Baby. So they wrote a note to Tank and put it in his box. Then when everything was ready we all went outside and watched as Olaf lowered him into the ground. We told him goodbye again. Then the boys helped shovel the first dirt onto his box. They filled the hole.There wasn't a dry eye in our circle.


Tank was a great dog. He had come to love us  and we had grown very attached to him. We will miss him waiting by the door for us when we get home. We will miss the jingle of his collar as he walks around the house. The boys will miss him sleeping at the foot of their bed. I'll miss him sitting by our feet when we're sitting around. I'll miss him trying to get in on every family hug; it seemed he could smell a hug from the other end of the house. We'll miss him taking us on walks. We'll miss his deep barks. I'll miss taking him for his monthly bath appointment. He loved getting all prettied up. We'll miss him pretending to be asleep so he didn't have to go outside. We will miss him tremendously!

11 comments:

Lonita said...

I was so sorry to hear about Tank -I know it must be awfully hard for your family and the boys to face another loss. Thinking about you guys!

allerkins said...

I'm so sorry Donna. I know we will all miss Tank. He was a great dog.

Krissie said...

I'm so sorry Donna! Life is SO not fair & it's not fair for your family to go through another loss! We are thinking of you guys and are keeping you close in my heart!

Student Entrepreneur said...

I am so sorry about Tank! I love you guys all so much!

Grandpa said...

We know how hard this is for all of you and our hearts go out to all of you. Tank was an important part of your family. We will all miss him.

quilts and quirks said...

I'm so sorry, also. We all loved Tank. We'll all remember him.

Jeni Allen said...

We are so sorry here. Sometimes life is so unfair. I'm so glad you guys found him though. It would have been worse to have no closure at all. We're thinking about you guys lot. Love you!

Cousin Kathie said...

It seems that this is the time when we realize that those furry creatures take our hearts and make us such fools. Pam had to put Peanut asleep 2 wks ago and said it was the hardest thing she has ever had to do. Casey and Marcus had Ender put to sleep this past spring. We are never ready to let them go....so sorry.

sally said...

We are so very very sorry about this loss. We could provide a corgi for you to borrow if you'd like. He's not as smart as Tank, he doesn't know to pretend to be asleep so he doesn't have to go outside. We will miss him so much when he visits, so will scooter.

Kristine said...

Dogs can sure become a part of the family. I think my boys have learned about love, affection, patience, and responsibility partially from our dogs. Sorry to hear about your Tank.

Morgana said...

Man, I don't know what to say other than I hate loosing a pet and it hurts so bad. I think he will seek out Boomer and Jed in dogie heaven. Calvin just needed more companions.
He was a good ol'boy.