11.02.2010

My Grandma

Great Grandma, Grandpa, & Grandma
My Grandma died when I was only 15. She was so full of energy and never stopped for much. She also talked a lot. I would be amazed at the conversations she could keep going the whole time she was cutting out and sewing dresses. She was so creative that when I look at what she did it totally amazes me. My favorite skill of her's was cake decorating with a close second being her sewing abilities. Whenever she would come out to visit us she would whip up some dress for all us girls. I don't remember her using a pattern, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. My memory has been known to remember the wrong things at times.

I remember when I was seven or eight I mentioned to her that I wanted a watch for Christmas or my birthday. Sure enough, that next Christmas or birthday she sent me one. I was so excited! I wore it till it wore out. Even though it quit working I kept it. I still have it in my jewelry box. I don't keep a lot of things but I kept that.

Grandma would send us notes occasionally. For a long time I thought she didn't know how to spell 'night' because she always spelled it 'nite'. I didn't dare tell her she was misspelling it. But then when I got older I realized it was just her shorthand. Ever since then I have always spelled it Grandma's way. But I'm kind of ocd and don't like to misspell things so every time I come to night or tonight there's a little battle that wages in my head and every single time 'nite' wins. It always makes me think of Grandma.

One of my favorite memories is when she took me and my sister shopping for shoes. We were to be in her youngest daughter's wedding as candle lighters. I was 12 and so excited. She made all the dresses including the brides. And that was a lot of dresses! But when we showed up my sister and I didn't have appropriate shoes for the wedding. Grandma took us shopping and got us ballet slippers. I remember feeling special because just us two went shopping with Grandma. We didn't get much alone time with Grandma and that time was special.

I am glad that I got to know Grandma as long as I did. Since we didn't live close we only got to see them once a year. But I remember those visits. I loved it when both her and Grandpa came to visit. It was always exciting.

8 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

I remember shopping for those shoes. We had to get ballet shoes because I've always had fat little feet! I passed it on to Mac. Regular shoes just wouldn't fit. That was a lot of fun!

sally said...

What great memories. I wish I could of known Grandma better but I was young when she died and a little scared of her. I love that you didn't want to tell her she was spelling it wrong, that is so you!

quilts and quirks said...

I'm so glad you had some special time with Grandma. And look at Great Grandma Merriam's shoes in the pic. So stylish. Its a great pic of all three.

Krissie said...

Thanks for the memories! I don't have any and it's so fun to learn new things about her!

Lonita said...

What great memories - and how cool that you still have the watch she sent you that many years ago!

Kathie said...

My gosh what a great picture. I need to go over to Mom's and get the slide projector out and look at the old slides of grpa/grma merriam. What great memories I have of auntie jean and uncle don and the cousins!!We were all so lucky growing up to have them as grandparents...

Grandpa said...

What great memories of Grandma McLean. I'm not sure I remember the shoes, but I do remember the wedding and how neat it was. I'm so glad you girls remember my Mommy.

Student Entrepreneur said...

Yea, I remember you guys going and getting shoes and being so sad I couldn't go too!! It was so fun seeing a wedding when I was young! I thought it was way cool!!