10.24.2008

Seatbelts

Let's just just address the whole seatbelt issue so no one has any embarrassing questions. All the articles state that Calvin wasn't wearing his seatbelt. The second comment to the Deseret News article about the accident stated something to the effect "It's too bad the parents will have to live with the guilt of not making their children wear their seatbelts." Idiot. We would all be dead if we weren't wearing seatbelts! That's the only reason the rest of us are alive. We don't let our children ride without seatbelts. But that was one of the things that Calvin had rebelled against in his teenage years. It was a battle every time we got in the car. There were times he would pretend to buckle until I turned back around. Thank goodness for Mother Supersonic ears, "I didn't hear a click!" Sometimes I would be yelling so hard at him for his seatbelt cuz I was so tired of the battle. Obviously he didn't believe me when I said he could die without his seatbelt. We weren't in the habit of getting in car accidents. (wonder how much the car insurance is gonna go up now!) Thankfully the other children did listen and I hope it won't be a problem with them at all. And, by the way, Sister Accountant left an unpublishable comment with the paper that made them think twice and they removed the 'guilty seatbelt' comment so it's not there anymore, thank goodness.

3 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

Donna,
ANYONE that knows you, knows that you wouldn't harm your children in anyway - but yelling:) Both you and Chris are great parents and sometimes kids do dumb things! I think everyone knows that seatbelts saves lives - and now we REALLY know it:(

grapeape said...

Ali and Beth mentioned that comment on Tuesday; I hadn't seen it. I CANNOT BELIEVE someone would have the GALL to post that!!!!! "Idiot" is too mellow a description for that person!!! It's good to hear that they removed that comment. ...I've been on Jeanine's case about seat belts off & on over the years...it simply sucks that now she has this story to use as an example for her kids...

Grandpa said...

I knew that there would be comments. People are too quick to blame rather than try to understand. I truly hope they never have to go through what Donna and Olaf (yes I now the real name) have gone through this last week. It is far better to engage in forgiveness and love than to find fault. I truly feel sorry for the person who is so quick to blame that they cannot see the tragedy. Worse yet, that my daughter should have to defend herself to someone who is so little as to not have any common sense or compassion.