3.04.2010

Bling Bling

Middle Child has always loved Sparkly and Bold Things. When he was younger, somewhere around six or seven, everyone was buying me jewelry for Christmas. Calvin had picked out some nice earrings for me. Middle Child wanted in on the action. He looked through all the jewelry cases at the store. He pondered. I had left to wander the store while the boys took care of things. When I came back Olaf pulled me aside with a little snicker.

"You may want to talk to Middle Child about going on a special date to help him pick some jewelry for you for Christmas. He's been looking tonight and he wants to get you the biggest, gaudiest, class ring available."

I was not surprised. He's like a crow in that regards. The sparklier and brighter the better. When we walk by leopard print bags, shoes, or shirts he's always suggesting I get that for myself. It's all I can do to not laugh at his suggestion. I politely tell him I would never be caught dead in that outfit. (I better make sure I don't let him pick out my funeral clothing.)

So a few days later we went to another store. Middle Child had a certain amount of money to spend. I looked at some of the jewelry. There was a necklace I liked, but when we looked at the price it was a little too much. So then we looked at earrings. I picked out a few I liked. Then I turned around to look at some other things while he wheeled and dealed with the cashier and purchased me something for Christmas. He was so pleased with himself.

We went home and he instantly dragged Olaf into our room to help him wrap the present. Later that night I told Olaf how I picked out a few earrings and let him choose the final pair. he looked at me a little funny.

"Earrings?"

"Well, yeah. The necklace I liked was a little too much so we decided on earrings."

"Huh. Well he picked a good one. You'll like it."

Christmas morning came and Middle Child was so excited for me to open his present. I opened it up and found the necklace we had looked at sitting in a pretty box. With his big blue eyes, blond hair, and adorable smile he had finagled his way into purchasing the necklace for much less than marked!

7 comments:

sally said...

That sounds like Clayton. He has a way with the ladies and cute cheeks to help him out.

Student Entrepreneur said...

I agree!! He is a ladys man!!

quilts and quirks said...

What a darling young boy can do with beautiful blue eyes and blond hair and smile to match. Watch out young ladies, here he comes. What a cute story.

quilts and quirks said...

I figured it out. You live in Utah and the clerk was a mother or grandmother. She couldn't resist Clayton so she marked the price down or maybe added a little money to Clayton's money.

Donna said...

The clerk was actually a high school girl charmed by his sweet smile and sweetness at buying something for his mom.

Lonita said...

That is so sweet - pretty impressive negotiating skills! I do want to see pics of you in the leopard print shirt, though...

Grandpa said...

Mom and I were out at Kohl's yesterday and saw a teenage girl looking at jewelry and I turned to Mom as we both looked at the girl and jewelry and said, "Bling Bling!" Clayton was successful partly because he is cute, but it's also because she wishes she had a boyfriend as considerate as a Clayton. Look out Donna - he's going to break hearts.